Wednesday, December 6, 2006

That was then, this is now.


The year was 1979. I was fresh out of school and had been working my first "real" job for a while. I finally saved up enough money to buy my first "good" bike. (It was only my second new bike). After reading all the magazine reviews, I decided on a Windsor International. Problem was, I couldn't find one anywhere. One day I happened upon a Lotus Unique in a now-defunct bike shop. For $350 (a princely sum then) I got a real sweet lugged chromoly frame, aluminum wheels, a full Shimano 600EX gruppo and that cool blue/purple color. It was my pride and joy for 20 some-odd years.

The year is 2006 and I had been working my second job in a bike shop and finally earned enough store credits to but my first "top shelf" bike - a Felt F1C. For $5799 (a princely sum now) I got a sweet carbon frame, Mavic Kyserium ES wheels, full Shimano Dura-Ace gruppo and that badass Stealth Bomber black.

The Felt is my current "baby". Every time I ride it, I'm amazed at the smooth ride, snappy handling and responsive acceleration. Too bad the motor's not worthy!

No comments: