Sunday, March 30, 2014

Unexpected Thrift Store Find

  Among the many items on my Saturday morning "to do" list was "Take bed frame to Rescue Mission Store @ landfill".

  Being in a hurry, I was just going to leave the frame and headboard on the dock and be on my way, but the sign said "See attendant when dropping off donations", so I decided to "follow procedure".

  When I opened the door, it was my intent to just tell the attendant what I was doing and be about my business, but she was arranging ceramic knick-knacks in a display for Easter, and something about the careful, Zen-like way she was doing it, made it seem wrong to interrupt. I downshifted my pace to hers and watched as she moved things here and there - often a very small amount - trying to find just the right place for the piece she held in her hand. Humming to herself as she worked, she finally got things "just so" and turned to me and said cheerily "Donation?"

  We unloaded the bed frame and I went on my way, but something about what I'd just seen stuck with me and made me think.

  I usually regard thrift stores as somewhat melancholy places full of cast-off things someone no longer wanted - and no one wants now - being pawed through by apathetic customers. Ceramic knick-knacks in particular have always made me think: "Who bought this cheesy thing in the first place….  and who the hell is going to buy it a second time??" And yet, here was this woman carefully arranging things - things I saw no interest, beauty or value in - and taking pride and finding delight in them. I'd be willing to bet she wasn't told to do that by her supervisor, she just took it upon herself because it brightened up the place. She took what I saw as a joyless job -babysitting a bunch of crap no one wants, in a store no one comes to - and found satisfaction and beauty in it. Even if no one noticed or cared about her Easter display, she did.

  I didn't buy anything, but I took something of value with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on this. Thrift stores and secondhand shops I always had viewed as a place to pop in for a quick look, or a place to find an ugly sweater for an ugly christmas sweater party or something of that nature. It is interesting to think of it in that light.