Wednesday, March 5, 2008

SILENCE!

Where is it written that humans must surround themselves with noise and babble? Why must we be constantly "entertained"? Why are people so afraid of silence? Why do we need to surround ourselves with TVs playing to no one, talk radio that no one's really listening to? Why would we want to surround ourselves with so many things vying for our attention and more often than not, trying to sell us something?

I know, I know, a guy with a surgically attached iPod should be the last one to throw stones at his own glass house, but the omnipresent, constant din of TVs and other mindless babble has started to push me over the edge. I sat in my camp in the woods one day and just listened to nothing. Yeah, it was a bit unnerving - at one point, I thought to myself: "This is what the inside of a tomb must sound like... for eternity"- but it was also soothing.

I went into a warehouse area at work the other day, and the quiet enveloped me like a warm blanket. The calm that came over me surprised me. Sometimes you get so inured to the cacophony that you don't realize the presence of the noise...until it's missing.  Yeah, I work in a factory, it's noisy - DUH- but it's more than that. It's inane chatter among co-workers, it's other people's phone calls - mindless and otherwise and it's not one, but TWO TVs in the lunchroom - often on different stations. Some days even a microwave isn't fast enough to get me out of there.

All that's bad enough, but what made me borderline Postal was a trip to the dentist. I  wasn't in the waiting room long enough to be driven mad by the drivel spewing from the TV in there, but when I got to the hygienist's chair, I was surprised to see TV's at each station, tuned in to a talk show. 

Now, since I don't watch TV, I may be more sensitive than most, but is it just me, or are talk shows the absolute epitome of mindless crap? The host breezed through about four guests in a half hour, asking the most inane questions of absolutely no substance. As if that weren't enough, this was punctuated by obviously artificial applause and peppered with commercials, it seems like every 30 seconds. It was so disjointed and rapid fire, it was almost disorienting. It bordered on the "Ludovico Technique" used to punish Alex in "A Clockwork Orange". He had no choice but to watch, yet millions of people subject themselves to this willingly every day? Maybe it was aversion therapy for me, so that I'll take such good care of my teeth I'll spend the absolute minimum time in the chair? I think it worked! Most people dislike the dentist for other reasons...

There was but one antidote. The following day, I took the dogs and the snowshoes and headed for the woods. About a half mile in, I stopped and stood still. Off in the distance, I could still hear the sounds of the highway, but they were muted and barely audible. I could actually hear small clumps of snow falling off the tree branches with a soft "plop". I could hear a Downy woodpecker chipping away bark, way over my head in a dead maple; rap-rap-rap. The fresh snow even muffled the noises of nature and I felt something just meting away from me, like a heavy coating. I stood and listened for a few minutes and then continued on my way, smiling, for the first time in days.

5 comments:

Smirking Cat said...

Talk shows are definitely mindless crap, but I think the Disney Channel is actually the epitome. Two seconds of Hannah Montana may have you begging to flip back to a talk show. I'm forced to watch the drivel against my will when the kids are with us, until I play "oh no the TV must be broken", ha ha.

RonSmedley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the snowy quietness. I have few better memories than starting out on nice long glade ski runs, always the novice or intermediate ones way over to the side so that they arc down the mountain in a nice gentle swirl. In particular one time at Killington there was a nice fluffy snow falling so the spruce tress were all covered - it was just gorgeous and wonderfully, totally quiet.

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right! I have a little device called a TV-B-gone (https://www.tvbgone.com). It fits in the palm of my hand and it will turn off just about any TV at some pretty incredible distances. My favorite place to do it: at a local hotel bar where they have a great dance floor and often pretty good bands... and TVs all over the place. I never turn off the TV by the bar - folks are following some game. But why have two TVs on different stations flanking the stage? I'm there to enjoy the band! So I just turn 'em off. Nobody knows who did it and I feel MUCH better. :-)

Ella Menneau said...

As a culture we seem to have lost the ability to be alone with our thoughts---our OWN thoughts. I hike for the same reason you do I think: to maintain that tenuous connection tot he natural world, and to clear out all the junk that builds up.


Nice Blog, Ride on!