Saturday, June 15, 2013

Help Wanted: Lock Tender

...I doubt you'll see THAT on Monster.com any time soon...

I was out chasing the ghost of the Black River Canal a couple of weeks ago, driving up NY 12, looking for remnants of the 109 locks that used to be. Just north of Boonville, "The Five Combines" -five locks all together, one right after the other- have been somewhat preserved.

There is a house of the appropriate vintage about halfway through the lock set, that I suspect was the lock tender's house.

When I visit historical sites, I try to visualize what it was like, in it's heyday. (The only problem is my visions always seem to be in sepia...) I tried to envision the lock tender going about his business, locking cargo boats through, with the skill and economy of movement that only comes from experience.

...and then wondered how he felt watching the canal slowly slide into irrelevance, thanks to the railroad.

How did he feel, knowing his occupation would fall by the wayside, as well?  How did he feel, knowing his skills, his knowledge and his experience - things that helped define who he was- were no longer of use to him? And no one seemed to care. Let's face it, it's not like there were other canals in town where he could earn a living. How did he feel, knowing he'd have to move, or learn a new trade? Did he feel uncertainty  about how he was going to feed his family? How did he feel, watching the world changing around him, coldly casting him aside?

Then it occurred to me I know how he felt.

Too well.

No comments: